Landlords of Residential Property

It is extremely important that as a landlord you comply with the legislation on managing your property. If you fail to do so you may find yourself in a dispute with your tenants and even subject to fines.

Some examples of possible disputes and steps you need to take are set out below:

  • Tenants have stopped paying their rent.

    In this situation you need to decide whether or not you want the tenants to continue to live in the Property. If you are prepared to let them stay but they refuse to pay the arrears you can make a monies claim against them. However, if you want the tenants to leave you will need to serve notice on them. The type of notice will depend on the tenancy agreement that you have. If the tenancy is a fixed term tenancy which is not due to expire in the next couple of months, you will need to serve a S8 Notice. If the tenancy is a periodic tenancy you can serve a S8 or a S1 Notice.

  • Tenants are causing a nuisance.

    If the tenants are causing problems it may be that all that is necessary to stop their troublesome behaviour is for a formal solicitor's letter to be sent. However, if they persist, you may be entitled to end the tenancy agreement early. Whether you can or not will depend on the terms of your tenancy agreement but if you can you need to ensure you serve the notice correctly prior to starting possession proceedings.

  • Deposit disputes.

    One of the most common disputes that arise between landlords and their tenants is how the deposit is split. If the tenancy commenced or was renewed after April 2007, you should have protected the deposit in a formal deposit protection scheme. These schemes should be able to offer a dispute resolution service. However, if you need assistance in determining what you are entitled to retain, or to put together your claim, we can help.

  • Dispute with the letting agents

    It is not uncommon for problems to arise with residential property due to the fact that the letting agents have failed to act in order to seek proper references or to carry out repairs to the property. It is not always clear what is the responsibility of the letting agent and what is your responsibility as landlord. However, if your letting agents have not complied with their contractual obligations you may be able to claim against them.

We can assist you in giving practical advice on how to manage your relationship with your tenant, prepare the correct notices and ensure that if court proceedings become necessary they are handled in the cost effective and time efficient manner possible. If you would like more information please contact Jill Lipscombe on 01276 686222 or email