Tenants in Residential Property

If you have a problem with the property you rent the first thing you need to do is look at your tenancy agreement. However, your landlord is not obliged to supply you with a written tenancy agreement and so you may have to rely on the terms agreed orally. In any event, whether or not you have a written tenancy agreement, there are obligations implied into the contract by legislation. Therefore, just because there is nothing which says that your landlord must carry out repairs - that does not mean for example, that he is not obliged to mend the oven if it breaks.

Some common situations that tenants may encounter and which we can advise on are as follows:

  • My landlord keeps coming round to the property and won't leave me alone;
  • The heating has stopped working and my landlord won't fix it;
  • I have left the property and my landlord won't return my deposit;
  • I have received notice that I must leave the property but I'm up to date with my rent and don't want to go.

Often disputes such as these between landlords and tenants can be resolved through some simple negotiation and without the need for court proceedings. The key is to understand your position and whether or not your landlord is in breach of his obligations to you.

If you have a problem with your landlord, either like the ones listed above or something entirely different, please contact Jill Lipscombe on 01276 686222 or drteam@herrington-carmichael.com and we can discuss how we can assist you.

Please note that we do not operate the publically funded Legal Help/Legal Assistance scheme (previously known as Legal Aid). If you are in receipt of benefits or think you may qualify for the scheme, we suggest you make enquiries of your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).